Friday, December 3, 2010

Trouble! Pop-o-matic

-Post By Foster Dad
I bought the game Trouble to play with M, hoping it would be a simple game to learn counting, competition, and focus.  Epic FAIL! All that's happen is my hair starting to fall out!  It says 5+ on the box. M is only 4.  Is there some kind of magical mental block against moving a game piece a number of spaces? Is it lifted when you cross from 4 to 5?!!

I took out every rule except one: pop the bubble and move your piece the number on the dice.  She can pop the bubble. She can read the number on the dice.  She can count to that number.  She can move the piece one space at a time and count as she goes, but she can't start with 1 at the next space.  She sits there counting 1 without moving the piece!  It's driving me crazy.  I told her to start with 0, then start moving and that actually helped, but now there's a new problem.

She'll be playing fine and moving along, then a brain switch flicks and she won't move the piece without looking at me and waiting for me to say "yes" as if she needs approval for each and every space moved because her confidence is at big fat ZERO!!  If I don't look at her and say, stare at the board, she freezes or moves like 20 spaces or gives up and says she doesn't want to play anymore.

The funny part is that the longer she plays, the worse she gets.  At the beginning, she was counting and moving just fine.  Then, she decided to enter manipulation mode.  "M, what number did you roll?" -Blank zombi stare- "7". "No M, you know there's only 6 numbers.  You've seen a 6 many times and know what it is.  We're going to stop playing and when you can say the right number we can start again." -"Ok, it's a 6."

Ahhhhhhhh!  I just don't have the strength for these mental games.  Sorry pushovers, there's no way I'm going to let her play wrong when I know she knows how, lie straight to my face, or quit, but I just can't keep up my energy level with this constant barrage of disturbia.  I had to win the game, leave the table, and let Foster Mom play the next round.

What simple things set off the disturbia in your foster kids?  What kills their confidence and sends their brain into zombie mode?
 
Copyright 2010 Foster Parent Journey. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates