Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Parenting Across Cultures

-Post by Foster Mom
M is considered a family of one (herself), so qualifies as a low income family and gets to attend preschool for free.  A few weeks ago I received M's preschool packet...written entirely in Spanish. I wish I didn't assume the Spanish packet was an oversight, because I would have been better prepared for what was to come.

Last Friday we headed to Preschool orientation, where the most chaotic moments of my life took place.  There were around 100 parents trying to listen to the teachers and administration talk without a megaphone or mic while 100 kids ran around exploring their new environment.

The confusion for me, didn't come from all the loud kids, but the language barrier.  The majority of the families attending her school are Hispanic,  and the language spoken is Spanish. I immediately regretted my choice of studying 6 years of the language of love instead of Español in high school.

I started panicking....and holding on to any word I could sort of understand. I heard the word "sandals" but couldn't figure out if the kids could or could not wear them.  M told me she understood every word, but whispers way too loud to translate for me.

About thirty minutes of having no idea what was going, with a massive headache and feeling like a giant outcast,  our teacher started talking and asked "Is there anyone who speaks Enligh only?"

I looked around as I sheepishly raised my hand, and realized I was the only person in the whole place who spoke English only.  I have never felt so out of my comfort zone.  The teacher started translating about half of her information for me. She also informed the parents that only English would be spoken to the students. No Spanish.

When she was done, she looked right at me and said "Do you have any questions?"  I looked at her dumbfounded, said "I have no idea what's happening..." and shook my head no. After the speaking was over, I watched as M played on the playground.  I could hear moms laughing and talking...in Spanish. Augh, my middle school insecurities surfaced as I imagined them laughing at me and saying how lame I am cause I'm not bilingual.

We returned to my insecurities today. The first day of preschool.  It was harder for me, than M. Parents stay for the first 15 minutes to have special time with our kids.  The teacher gave all her instruction in Spanish...  I raised my hand, asked for some translation as I wondered what happened to the no speaking Spanish in the classroom rule. This is the new start of a school year....and for me.

I've been looking through some of the class material we have from our foster parent training on "Parenting Across Cultures."  This quote caught my eye
Your child is having a different experience in the world than you are.
M knows more Spanish than Foster Dad and I.  We are happy she's in a preschool where she feels like she fits right in.  To be a better parent, and so M feels like she fits in at home, I'm making it a goal to learn Spanish. If I don't...it's going to be a long year.

Foster or adoptive parents: Any stories about parenting across cultures
 
Copyright 2010 Foster Parent Journey. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates