Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Reunification: M is back with her mom

-Post by Foster Mom

A lot has happened over the last few months. 
It's been hard.
There are a lot of great memories and heartache I may end up sharing, but for now I'll just give you an update.

M moved back in with her mom, which was the goal from day 1.
The court approved it and the next day reunification happened.
Although it's been "looming" over our heads for a few months, it still seemed to happen pretty quick.
We made sure she had closure at preschool, with our neighbors, her therapist and other key players.

As we drove M to her mom's, I could tell she started realizing things were about to be very different.
"My mom doesn't have a car....how will I get places?"
We praised the bus system and talked about her other concerns.
Her concerns  seemed to go away as soon as she was in her mom's arms.

Mine didn't.
This was a few weeks ago...

I was scared to call and check in.  What if mass chaos happened? What if her mom doesn't let me talk to M ever again? What if...

I picked up the phone and called today.
M sounded older, more mature.
Some highlights:
Her baby brother was crying in the background.
M: Brother, be quiet I'm talking to my foster mom...Sorry, he's sooo loud!
M: So how's your living? What's new?
M: Do you want to talk to Brother now because I don't know what else to talk about.
It was fun to talk and put my mind at ease.  She'll be okay.
**I'm not sure specifically what I'll be writing about around here...but if you have any questions about reunification or the foster care process as a whole, feel free to leave a comment...I'm not an expert but we survived this journey.**
 
Copyright 2010 Foster Parent Journey. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates